Maximising Bulb Life
To maximise the operational life of an automotive bulb there are some important points to consider.
Rule of Thumb:
• 5% overvoltage halves the bulb life.
• Headlamp bulbs are rated at 13.2 volts. Signal and marker bulbs are rated at 13.5 volts.
• The light output of a tungsten filament light source is dependent on voltage.
• Low voltage causes low output and lower operational life of halogen bulbs as regeneration does not occur.
• Overvoltage causes excessive tungsten erosion and significantly shortens bulb life.